Musculus discors (Linnaeus, 1767)
A very common benthic bivalve mollusk of arctic seas.
- Length to 53 mm. Adults usually 17-25 mm.
- Periostracum olive-green to dark-brown, shiny.
Habitat & Distribution
- Epibenthic. Use byssal threads for attachment to the substratum.
- Upper sublitoral.
- On algae and hard substrates mainly.
- Widespread boreal – arctic species.
- Mucous eggs are in bags made from byssal threads.
- Development without pelagic larvae.
Page Author: Andrey Voronkov
Created: July 27, 2010