Serripes groenlandicus (Bruguiere, 1789)
A very common benthic bivalve mollusk of arctic seas.
- Length to 100 mm. Adults usually 50-70 mm.
- Periostracum gray or yellowish-gray to brown, shiny.
- Young individuals sometimes with zigzag lines along growth lines.
- Inside – white to gray.
Habitat & Distribution
- Partly or completely infaunal species.
- On different types of sediments.
- Sublitoral mainly.
- Widespread boreal-arctic.
- Suspension feeder.
- Development with pelagic larvae.
Page Author: Andrey Voronkov
Created: August 2, 2010